17th January, Second Sunday in Ordinary Time
Click the white triangle in the image above from 10:30 Sunday and you will be able to watch live Mass. The feed will start at about 10:25. If you are watching from a tablet or an ipad, you may be prompted to watch via the YouTube app. You can watch directly from YouTube using this link: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdD7gqE4O66qlggIJKAn3DQ/live
If the Mass has not started you will see a note saying "Live Stream Offline". Once Mass starts it will change to "Live"
This week in the Church’s calendar we begin what is called Ordinary Time. We will go through the seasons and feast days for another year. Appropriately, we begin with John the Baptist pointing out to two of his followers, “Look, there is the Lamb of God”. They became curious (an invaluable gift for a person of faith who is searching) and asked Jesus, “Teacher, where do you live?” “Come and see,” he replied. May we bring to this year a greater degree of curiosity as to who this Jesus is for us.
- Upheaval in Washington
The astonishing scenes that took place last week in Washington are a strong reminder to all of us how important it is for leaders, but all of us as well, that what and how we speak to each other, matters a great deal. In primary school we “learned” that sticks and stones will break your bones, but names will never hurt you”. NOT TRUE…WORDS MATTER in public and in private relationships.
- The awful news about the report of what went on in Ireland for the 1930’s to the early 1970’s in ‘Mother & Baby homes’ was released this week. It is a chapter of cruelty and catastrophy from beginning to end. Several congregations of religious women will be blamed. To a great degree they too are victims as nobody will defend their cruel side. However, I firmly believe that the Church of Jesus Christ rather than being a haven in difficult times, “Let the little children come to me, and do not stop them, for to children such as these, the kingdom of heaven belongs” (Matt. 19:14) was largely responsible for this appalling chapter in our history; directly the fault of a completely bankrupt theology or understanding of sexuality as a God given gift. Attempts to cover it up went on for decades; that’s what institutions do. Pray for survivors that they may find peace in their lives.
- COVID: ) Wear a mask
b.) Keep your distance
c.) Use the hand gels in shops and Church……. That’s the LEAST we can do.
- Good advice is if you have NOT been mixing with other households or groups up to now, do not start because it’s Christmas or there is a vaccine in existence. PLEASE DO NOT TAKE ANY LIBERTIES WITH YOUR HEALTH OR THE HEALTH OF OTHERS.
- Pray for scientists, laboratory technicians and all who helped them develop the promised vaccines.
- Pray also that the poor and the needy who cannot afford it will be properly looked after – every chain is only as strong as its weakest link! Pray for all the sick and their carers.
- I cannot speak highly enough on your behalf and mine also in saying a huge THANK YOU to HELEN and all VOLUNTEERS.
“Maybe it’s true that life begins at fifty, but after that everything starts to wear out, fall out or spread out.“
Bless you all,
How do we understand the GOOD NEWS Jesus spoke about in 2021?
Readings for Next Sunday
Third Sunday in Ordinary Time
First reading Jonah 3:1-5,10
Psalm 24, v.4-9
Second Reading 1 Corinthians 7:29-31
Gospel Mark 1:14-20
Sat 16th Jan 6.00pm Thanksgiving (Ginika Ogidi)
Sun 17th Jan 8.30am Archangel DeVera Bacolor RIP (Bacolor Family)
10.30am Anastazia D’Souza RIP (Anniv) (Amy)
5.30pm Kathleen & Patrick Cullen RIP
Mon 18th Jan 7.30pm Refugees, Migrants and the Poor
Tue 19th Jan 10.00am Pip Varley RIP (Mary Higton)
Wed 20th Jan 10.00am Virginia Mary Carr RIP (Davies family)
Thu 21st Jan 10.00am Lily Fitzgerald RIP (Christine Sadler)
Fri 22nd Jan 10.00am Peter Daley & Sherry Small (Barbara)
Sat 23rd Jan 6.00pm Sebastian Barretto RIP (Barretto family)
Sun 24th Jan 8.30am Gabriel Oh RIP (Anniversary) (Oh family)
10.30am Nancy Ford Rip (1st anniv) (Joan Forward)
5.30pm Marina Maquinez-Fornes RIP (1st anniv.) (Angela Zita)
Message from SVP
David Pointet sends his very best wishes to everybody from Chipping Camden, Gloucestershire where the family are settling in. Thank you so much for your very generous Christmas offerings. Please note that from the end of January onwards SVP will no longer collect food in the box at the back of Church. We are unable to store. We will purchase food for parcels for the needy or giving supermarket vouchers. Any financial donations can be made through envelopes in the church porch or online. See notice board or the notice to the right of this page.
The OLQH Confirmation programme will start in the New Year for Years 10-13. The sessions will most likely be online – if you wish to be Confirmed in 2021, please email email@example.com
Collections for Weekend 9th/10th January 2021
Offertory Collections £81.00
Gift Aid Collections £72.00
Standing Orders (Weekly Average) £1016.00
Please pray for all those who have died recently:
Colin Budd, Tom Custodio, Sally Foley, Chris Grant, Lucy MacPartlan, Claire Shaw and Michael Walsh
May they rest in peace.
Please pray for all those who are sick at this time:
Joe Buttaci, Maureen Bowers, Marie Bellizzi, Robert Burbridge, Helen Campbell, Vivian Charlton, Lally Clarke, Joan Cottrell, Florence Cox, Zita Falber, Freda Fernandes, Hermanthe Fernando, Kath Grant, Mary Higton, Gill Kirwin, Georgia Mackinlay, Miriam McDonnell, Helen McLachlan, Maura Morris, Valeria Penkova, Paul Pullen, Wilson Rabanos, Donal Reidy, Gill Shaw, Sherry Small, Godelieve Vandersloten, Alfonsa Varghese, Lorainne Vella, Mark Wardell, and all those named on the noticeboard in Our Lady’s Shrine.
May they find consolation in their suffering.
Alton Day of Renewal Prayer Requests
We will pray for anyone feeling isolated, anxious, depressed, or physically ill. We will help you draw close to the love of Jesus, who said “come to me all of you who are weary and burdened and I will give you rest”. On weekdays 10.00am-4.00pm tel 07579 824523. Full details at www.altonrenewal.com/prayer_request
10th January, The Baptism of Our Lord